Buildings can be categorized into five different types of construction: fire-resistive, non-combustible, ordinary, heavy timber, and wood-framed.
What Are the 5 Types of Building Construction?
There are a variety of different types of building construction, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The five most common types of building construction are:
1. Stick Construction Stick construction is the most common type of construction, and is typically used for homes and other small buildings. Stick construction is made up of vertical studs and horizontal plates that are fastened together with nails or screws.
2. Balloon Frame Construction Balloon frame construction is similar to stick construction, but the studs are not fastened to the plates. Instead, the studs are fastened to each other at the top and bottom plates.
3. Post and Beam Construction Post and beam construction is made up of vertical posts and horizontal beams that are fastened together with bolts or other metal fasteners. This type of construction is often used for larger buildings, such as warehouses or factories.
4. Masonry Construction Masonry construction is made up of bricks, stones, or concrete blocks that are fastened together with mortar. This type of construction is very strong and is often used for commercial or industrial buildings.
5. Timber Frame Construction Timber frame construction is made up of vertical timbers that are fastened together